APRIL Marine sets its sights on the Mini Transat 2017 !
APRIL Marine supports Clément Machetel in his Mini Transat quest for the 2016 and 2017 sailing seasons.
APRIL Marine and Clément Machetel: a history shaped by dedication and values
APRIL Marine, subsidiary of the APRIL Group and specialist in insuring and financing recreational watercraft, has been partnering skippers for years and shares the values inherent in a solo race: confidence, boldness, and solidarity. As an insurer committed to improving the image of its industry, APRIL Marine identifies with Clément Machetel and has decided to sponsor his adventures through 2017. From windsurfing and onto the First class 8, Pogo 2, Figaro, J 80 all the way to Laser SB3, Clément masters them all. His next adventure will be aboard a Mini 6.50, supported by APRIL Marine in the role of lead sponsor.
Clément Machetel began windsurfing at the age of 8 off Brittany's northern coast. The nation's 12-year-old windsurfing prodigy, then a watersport athlete-student in La Baule, a first solo race around Brittany on a Figaro at the age of 18, competing in the Spi-Ouest France and national championships on the open sea: his list of accomplishments is already impressive. At 21, he started his own business, reflecting both his ambition and passion for the sea. He now works for the nautical division of Helly Hansen, still just as dedicated to his trade.
Sights set on the Mini Transat 2017
The Mini Transat is a challenging ocean race on what Clément calls "mini rockets". According to him, "It's a fascinating and highly coveted race, one that attracts the biggest names in sailing. It's an adventure requiring consummate devotion." With APRIL Marine's backing, Clément is spending 2 years preparing physically and mentally before crossing the Atlantic on a 6.5m sailboat.
The 2016 calendar: :
- February : Acquisition of a mini 6.50 prototype built in Sables d'Olonne in 2013;
- March-April : Preparations held in northern Brittany, launch and initial practice sessions;
- May : Additional practice, transfer of the craft to Douarnenez, activities to involve APRIL Marine staff in the experience of this ocean race;
- June : MAP Prize awarded in Douarnenez for the solo competition;
- July : The Olona Cup race in Sables d'Olonne, excursions with APRIL Marine staff in celebration of the firm's 40-year anniversary;
- September : Duo Concarneau held on 3rd and 4th September, followed by Chrono 6.50 on the 16th (time trials around Groix leaving from Lorient).